Traditional Anzac Biscuits

1

Category : , , , , , ,

Australia Day.
A day of nation-wide relaxation, celebration, inebriation and flag-waving.
A day who most of us are completely ignorant of it's origins or purpose.
As far as my knowledge extends, all I can say is that I am almost certain that Anzac biscuits are not traditionally Australia day fare.  Instead they are reserved specifically for the Anzacs, those bloody fine men who have given us the opportunity to live within the security of this country without memoirs of wounded mates, wasted lives and Luger barrels.  How many of us take for granted our safe, sheltered, lives where our loved ones stay safe by our sides and not leave for years and return never quite the same.
NB: I have just finished watching the rather riveting American TV series 'Band of Brothers', which is why I am talking like this.  I was originally reluctant to watch it as I detest all war, but it is rather grounding, and I took away from it many lessons that I hope will never leave me.

The point of my story is that this Australia day I decided to bake off some traditional (TBC-style) Anzac biscuits in remembrance of what Australia has become rather than the anniversary of it's "invasion".




I went through a phase when I was a kid of cooking Anzac biscuits almost every weekend.  It got to the stage where I think I could have done it backwards with my eyes shut.  I remember my little brother always used to sit at the kitchen bench watching me cook with his big puppy eyes just begging me to look away so he could steal some dough. 
I then forgot about them for a few years, and just randomly thought about them the other day, Australia day.  I thought it seemed fitting so I designed and created these Anzacs.

The ingredients:
1 cup oats
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup brown rice flour*
1/2 cup quinoa flour*
2 tbs coconut oil
2-4 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup boiling water
100mL golden syrup
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda

*You can use any flour you desire - I chose these flours particularly for their subtle taste, which allows the richness of the other ingredients to be more distinct.


1. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  



2. In a separate bowl, add the boiling water to the golden syrup.
NB: The golden syrup is the principle flavour of Anzac biscuits.  I wouldn't replace it in this recipe for the world.  


3.  Stir the bi-carb into the boiling water and as soon as it starts to foam, pour on the dry ingredients.



4.  Add all of the coconut oil to the mix.  Add the olive oil slowly, gauging how much to use by the texture of the mix. The biscuit dough should be soft and malleable, not crumbly.  

4.  Roll the dough into balls and smoosh flat onto a greased baking tray.  Cook for maybe 20mins in a moderate oven.


5. Enjoy immensely with friends and a cool beverage. 


1 comments:

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Post a Comment

Original work of Rhiannon Mack, 2012, unless otherwise indicated. Powered by Blogger.